By Anne McCaslin Parker
Does anyone else love, love, love oatmeal? There is nothing better than a warm bowl of oats to get your day started.
Oatmeal has so many added benefits. It is a great whole-grain source and is filled with fiber. Not to mention it is good for your heart, helps lower cholesterol and regulate blood sugar, beneficial for weight loss and honestly the list just goes on and on.
However, I know a lot of people are not huge fans of oatmeal and that is okay. There are PLENTY of ways to spice up your standard oats.
1. Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal- Everyone loves a PB and banana combination!! Make you steel cut oats with a splash of almond or skim milk, water and stir in some PB while it is still warm. Slice up a banana and you have all kinds of delcious in your bowl. For more staying power, add in fresh blueberries or strawberries.
2. Oatmeal Pancake- This is literally my favorite breakfast in the entire world. They are so healthy and you kind of feel like you are having a "cheat meal" all that the same time. PERFECT for a weekend morning. This Mommy Cooks has a great, clean recipe that you will want to make again and again.
3. Smoothies- Make your standard smoothie with fruit, etc. and add in some oats! I promise you can not even taste it- you will just get the added benefits of oatmeal. Try this recipe from Martha Stewart.
4. Granola- Quit buying store bought granola! It is LOADED in sugar and super high in calories. You can easily make your own right at home and it is so good. Mix it into a yogurt bowl with fruit and you have a perfect snack. Try Julie's Almond Butter Granola recipe (you can use any other kind of nutbutter too!).
5. Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins- Pumpkin + oatmeal = a great combination in this recipe that you will NOT want to miss out on!
Add oatmeal into your diet today! You will be happy you did.
Log in to be able to post comments.