10 ways to celebrate National Pet Day
April 11 has become a day that unites animal lovers around the world. Pet & family expert and animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige founded National Pet Day in 2006 “to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives and to create public awareness about the plight of many different kinds of animals awaiting a forever home in shelters and rescues all around the globe,” according to PetDayUSA.
Paige believes all animals deserve love and compassion, “even not-so-cuddly animals like reptiles and rats.” She hopes National Pet Day will raise awareness about animal cruelty and “change the world for unwanted pets.”
Here’s PetDayUSA‘s top 10 ways to celebrate this occasion with your four-legged pals:
1) Adopt a pet from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization
2) Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals
3) Donate blankets, food and toys to a favorite animal welfare organization
4) Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells pets from puppy or kitten mills
5) Have a National Pet Day party and celebrate all your pets!
6) Spend the day taking photos of your pets and then post them!
7) Assist an ill, elderly or financially struggling neighbor or friend by purchasing pet food, hay or needed items for their pets
8) Purchase a National Pet Day T-shirt (or other gift item) to express your devotion to all animals
9) Buy your pet a fun new toy…or two…or five
10) Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot
So grab a chew toy and a big box of treats and show your furry (or scaly) friend how much you care!