By Amy Cooley
Flashback Friday to the Olympics because here are the fab five stories this week. I’m sorry. That was a bad pun. Just forget I said that and enjoy these picks.
1. If you didn’t watch it (or if you can’t remember it), you’ve definitely heard about it: Katy Perry’s Super Bowl halftime show and the true star of it, Left Shark.
There are posts all over the internet about this guy. He was one of Perry’s backup dancers wearing a shark costume who didn’t quite seem to know what he was doing, especially compared to his right hand counterpart (who apparently is a former backup dancer for Taylor Swift).
Well thanks to her shark buddies (and other dancers), awesome props, special effects and guest appearances by Missy Elliott and Lenny Kravitz, Katy Perry’s performance broke the record for the most-watched halftime show with 118.5 million viewers. I was genuinely on the edge of my seat saying “this is so much fun” just watching from the couch at home. Great job, Katy.
2. An even better gift than his… well, you know, in a box, Justin Timberlake said that he will be receiving, and I quote, “THE GREATEST GIFT EVER,” as he announced that his wife of two years, Jessica Biel, is pregnant.
This announcement took the form of an Instagram post on his 34th birthday with Timberlake kissing his wife’s pregnant belly. He’s also making a wager on the sex of the baby with his hashtags: #BoyOrGirl #YouNeverKnow #WeDontEvenKnow #WeAreTakingBets.
3. Wedding bells are ringing for Johnny Depp and fiancée of one year, Amber Heard.
They will be married this weekend on Depp’s private island in the Bahamas. It is said that they chose this weekend because this is the only time they’re both free. Both actors have films in the works, including a fifth “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie for Mr. Depp. (Honestly, how much are you going to milk this one, Disney? Give it a rest.)
Although I love me some Johnny Depp, he has a history of his serious relationships failing. Hopefully this one works out. His most recent split was in 2012 with girlfriend of 14 years and mother of two children, Vanessa Paradis.
4. People have been talking about this for some time due to his increasingly feminine appearance, but Bruce Jenner’s mother has confirmed that he will be undergoing the transition to becoming a woman, and she says that she could not be more proud of her son for all that he has done in his life.
Bruce wants to start his own reality TV show to highlight his transformation.
5. Finally, I’ve got some upcoming movies in everyone’s favorite genre. Sequels!
Because we couldn’t get enough of Channing Tatum’s body the first time, they decided to make a second “Magic Mike,” appropriately titled “Magic Mike XXL.”
The trailer came out this week and pretty much met my exact expectations: Channing Tatum’s muscles glistening as he dances on a stage among other hot men. It even ended with a tasteful “You’re Welcome.”
I for one am more scared for this movie than excited. I used to work in a movie theater and on opening night of the first “Magic Mike,” the theater was full of drunken moms making a scene over the shirtless men on the screen. It still gives me chills.
But I cannot wait for, “Sharknado 3.” The first two were such quality films; I’m surprised they haven’t gotten any Academy Awards. Don’t worry producers, third time’s the charm. If only Left Shark would make a camo.
Both movies will be released this July.